When you integrate Pear Deck into Schoology, you can transform a Pear Deck Session into an Assignment on joinpd.com. This provides your students in Schoology with immediate access to the Session without the need for a Join Code or Link at joinpd.com, as typically required in a conventional Pear Deck presentation Session.
By utilizing this integration, not only do you automatically store the responses collected in your Sessions menu, but Schoology also enables you to review your responses through the Teacher Dashboard, all from within the Schoology platform.
It’s important to note that this functionality is currently limited to users who are part of a school-wide or district-wide Pear Deck subscription. If you are uncertain about your Pear Deck’s eligibility, kindly reach out to the Pear Deck administrators at your school or contact us via email at he**@pe******.com.
Create a Pear Deck assignment @ joinpd.com
- Launch Schoology.
- Access your “Courses.” You have the flexibility to either create a new course or open an existing one.
- Once on the Course page, click on “Add Materials” and choose “Add File/Link/External Tool.”
- In the pop-up window, opt for “External Tool.”
- Within the Tool Provider section, click the drop-down menu and choose “Pear Deck.”
- Customize your assignment by providing a Title, Parameters, Grading enablement, etc. Note that the URL, Consumer Key, and Shared Secret are pre-installed for your convenience.
- Ensure to check the “Enable Grading” box if you want students to click “Submit Work” in Schoology upon completing the lesson.
- Click “Submit” to return to the Courses page. Your assignment is now published. If you’re not ready to proceed with configuring the session, you can temporarily un-publish the assignment until you’re ready.
|joinpd.com Enter the code
|Join a Presentation in Progress Link
Start your assignment
- Ensure you have an interactive Pear Deck presentation prepared using Google Slides or PowerPoint Online. The presentation files are automatically saved in your Google Drive or OneDrive, and you’ll choose the one you wish to present in Step 5.
- Navigate to the Schoology Courses page.
- Locate and click on the Pear Deck assignment you previously created. Remember that you can assign any title to it during creation; for this instance, let’s refer to it as “Pear Deck Assignment.”
- Take note that the assignment is currently published. If you prefer, you can use the Gear icon to un-publish the assignment while you configure the session to prevent it from being visible to your students until you’re ready.
- Click on the “Select a file from Drive or OneDrive” button. The first time you present a Pear Deck file in Schoology, you will need to log into Pear Deck.
- In the file chooser, locate and select the Google Slides or PowerPoint Online Slides file from Drive or OneDrive that you intend to present to your students.
- Choose your Lesson Mode. Depending on the Lesson Mode you select, one of the Presenter Views (Projector or Dashboard) will open for you in Schoology.
- Student-Paced Mode (asynchronous; recommended for this integration): Opting for this mode will open the private Dashboard View, allowing you to see students’ names alongside their responses in real time. When students access this assignment, they will have simple navigation controls on their Student View, enabling them to scroll through the slides in your presentation Session and respond to interactive questions.
- Instructor-Paced Mode (synchronous): Choosing this mode will open the Projector View, and responses are anonymous by default on this view. The Student View of the slides syncs up with your slide on the Projector View, requiring you to click through the slides for students to see them and respond to interactive questions.
- Congratulations! You have successfully created a new Pear Deck Session for your class within Schoology.
Have students complete your assignment
To facilitate the “turn in” process for Pear Deck assignments, ensure that the Pear Deck session is in student-paced mode. The Student View is now accessible on your students’ Schoology page, and the steps for students are as follows:
- Log into Schoology.
- Select your course.
- Click on the Pear Deck Assignment to open the Student View of the Session.
- Students can scroll through the slides and respond to interactive questions.
- When they reach the end, they click “Submit Work” to turn in the assignment.
Grade your assignment
In Schoology, you have various options for grading Pear Deck assignments and providing feedback to students. Here are the steps:
- Open Schoology and navigate to Gradebook.
- In Course Options, select Grades, and customize your grading options using Schoology tools.
- Return to the Courses page and click on the Pear Deck Assignment to open the Teacher Dashboard.
- In the Teacher Dashboard, you can click on the slides to view individual responses along with students’ names. If the Projector View is open, click on the 3-dots menu to open the Dashboard in a new tab.
- Toggle back to the Gradebook to adjust point values based on your evaluation.
- In the Dashboard, you can leave feedback for individual students using Pear Deck Teacher Feedback.